Is there someone you don’t want to chat with on Facebook messenger, or perhaps someone cyberbullying you? The healthiest thing to do is to block them.
How, then, do you block someone on Facebook messenger?
In this guide, you will learn how to block someone on Facebook Messenger without them knowing.
Sounds great? Let’s get into it.
What Happens When You Block Someone On Facebook Messenger?
When you block someone from Facebook Messenger, the following happens:
- The blocked user will not be able to contact you through Facebook chat, Messenger Chat or Call
- If a blocked person joins your Facebook group conversation, you will get a notification
- You cannot view online activities such as last seen on Messenger
- The blocked person can see the group chat messages and verse versa
- Blocking someone will not delete the previous conversation.
How to Block Someone on Facebook Messenger Without Them Knowing?
First, it is important to note that blocking someone on Facebook Messenger does not automatically block them from being on Facebook timelines.
You will still be able to access them on your timeline. However, you can also block the person on Facebook easily.
To block someone on Facebook Messenger, follow the steps below:
How to Block Someone on Facebook Messenger Using Android
- Launch your Facebook Messenger app
- Click on Chats
- Click on the Facebook username that you wish to block on Facebook Messenger.
- Proceed to click on the “Information” icon on the right side of your screen right after the video icon.
- Navigate down and click on the “Block” option
- Tap on “Block messages and calls” to block the user on Facebook messenger.
How to Block Someone on Facebook Messenger Using iPhone
- Launch your Facebook Messenger App
- Click Chats to display all of the chats you have had
- Search for the Facebook user you want to block
- Click on your profile picture at the top of the screen
- Scroll down and tap on “block.”
- Tap on “Block messages and call” to block the user on Facebook Messenger.
With these steps, you will be able to block someone on Facebook Messenger via iPhone.
When You Block Someone on Messenger, What do They See?
Once you block a user on Messenger, the person won’t be able to chat with you or make video/audio calls to you. This also applies on your end as well.
If you have been chatting with the user and have an active chat thread with the person, it won’t be instantly deleted.
This implies they may still have access to the messages you sent prior to the block.
To delete the message thread, you have to press and hold and select “delete” from the options.
However, any form of message deletion won’t affect the blocked user’s end.
They can still view the message thread. Although a message will appear stating “you can’t reply to this conversation” on the spot where messages are generally typed and delivered.
This is not the same as the “Facebook chat is unavailable” issue, which arises from a bug or glitch and limits how you interact when you use the Messenger app.
This is the most obvious sign to that person that you have blocked them, implying that it is hard for you to secretly block somebody on Facebook without them knowing.
In the chat thread, the call options will be grayed out to you and the person you have blocked, and when you use an emoji to react to any specific message, a popup will appear stating that you unblock the person before chatting.
Once you block a user on Messenger, they won’t be able to view stories from your account, even if they are still on your friend list on the primary Facebook app.
Note that if you upload your story through the main Facebook app, it will be accessible to them on that platform unless you have blocked them there as well.
The person you have blocked won’t be able to access your online status.
This implies that they won’t know if you are online.
Also, they will no longer access your “Last Seen” on Messenger or if you are offline or inactive.
This may present a very awkward scenario if someone you have blocked on Messenger is a member of the same group chat as you.
If you are a member of a group chat with a blocked user, then the person will still be allowed to interact and message you through the group chat.
However, you can prevent this situation by exiting from groups that the blocked user is a member of.
If it happens that your account has been added to a group chat that the blocked user is a member of, Facebook will send you a notification informing you that a blocked user is currently in the chat.
This will assist you in making the right choice pertaining to if you wish to be a member of that specific group chat or not
How to Remove Somebody from Facebook Messenger Block List
Here is a simple approach to how you can unblock or remove anyone from the Facebook Messenger block list.
Read more below:
- Access Messenger for Windows or macOS.
- Next, select your picture in the upper left corner.
- Next, select Preferences.
- Select Account Settings. The Facebook Settings Page will load in your web browser.
- Navigate to the left and select Blocking in your Facebook settings.
- Navigate to Block messages.
- Lastly, select Unblock beside the username you wish to unblock.
You can also unblock someone on Facebook Messenger using your Android device.
- Access the Messenger app on your mobile device.
- Enter Chats and select your profile photo in the upper left.
- Navigate to Menu and select Privacy
- Next, select People and tap on Blocked people.
- Select Unblock beside the username of whom you wish to unblock.
- Lastly, select Unblock.
Desktop Web (messenger.com)
You can also unblock someone on Facebook Messenger using your desktop website (messenger.com).
- Access the Messenger web on your web browser.
- Select Chats.
- After that, select Settings.
- Navigate to Blocking. Select Manage on Facebook
- From Settings, Select Blocking from the left.
- Navigate below to Block messages.
- Select Unblock beside the name of the user you wish to unblock.
Don’t forget that blocking a user on Facebook will also instantly block their account on Messenger as well.
Alternatives to blocking a User on Messenger
Here are some alternatives to blocking someone on Facebook Messenger:
- Unfriending the user on Facebook. Once you have unfriended a user on Facebook, they won’t appear on Messenger anymore. Once you have unfriended them, you can clear away the message thread you had with them on Messenger. They won’t be visible on your Messenger anymore.
- Never approve a message request from anyone you don’t want to chat with to restrict them on Messenger.
- Furthermore, you can use the mute option to limit Facebook from notifying you anytime they message or call you on Messenger.
- Another option is to mass delete all Facebook messages from those who aren’t on your friend list. Navigate to Messenger Settings. Tap on Phone Contacts and then Manage contacts. Lastly, select Delete All Contacts.
How to Block Someone on Facebook Messenger FAQs
Is Blocking on Facebook and Messenger the Same?
Blocking someone on Facebook is not the same as blocking someone on Facebook Messenger.
When you block someone on Facebook Messenger, they are restricted on certain actions at the chat and call level. They are still your friends, and you will see them on your timeline.
However, when someone is blocked on Facebook, you lose complete access to the Facebook user’s profile.
Can I Know if Someone Has Blocked me on Facebook Messenger?
There is no notification from Facebook to you when you’re blocked on Facebook Messenger. However, the status on that chat can be a hint. Such as ‘This person isn’t available right now” or “You can’t reply to this conversation,”
But then this is not 100% accurate as you get the same notification when someone temporarily deactivates their Facebook account.
What Message do You See When You try to Message a Blocked Person?
The text box and camera icon do not display for a Facebook Messenger profile that is blocked. Also, a notification will be displayed when you try to initiate a chat – “This person isn’t available” message on the desktop and “You can’t reply to this conversation” on mobile
At this stage, you should have mastered blocking someone on Facebook Messenger without them knowing. Whichever device that you are on, you can block anyone on Facebook Messenger.
- How to Get Verified on Facebook for Free
- Easy Way To Change Facebook Page Name
- How to Fix This Person is Unavailable on Messenger
- Facebook Messenger Login | How to Login to FB Messenger