Last updated on May 9th, 2023 at 05:00 pm
It is very frustrating to want to make use of the WhatsApp app only to find out that you have been banned from accessing the platform.
A range of questions comes to mind, one of which is why? and of course, the question of what to do.
Let’s start by answering the question of “how to contact WhatsApp if your number is banned?”.
- Step 1: Attempt reactivating your WhatsApp.
- Step 2: Select the Support option found on the notification page that will appear.
- Step 3: Provide an honest reason for your action that led to the ban.
- Step 4: Select the next button.
- Step 5: Afterward, select the “This does not answer my problem” option.
- Step 6: Enter the required detail in the email application that you have been redirected to and submit.
- Step 7: In 2 days, your request should be reviewed and your number unbanned.
As much as WhatsApp tries to ensure that only the phone numbers of people who have violated the policy of the platform get banned, it’s very possible for them to make a mistake and place a ban wrongly.
If you happen to be in such a situation, there are ways to go about it.
You will get to learn more about reaching out to WhatsApp to unban your number and even more, how to prevent your number from being banned in this article.
To provide security and make sure that its users have a great experience with the application, WhatsApp has its terms of service that have to be adhered to by its users.
Users who violate the terms and conditions of using the application are called to order by being banned from using the platform.
A WhatsApp ban can be short-lived that is temporary or more intense than a permanent ban. In case you are wondering, “yes”, there are two kinds of WhatsApp bans.
There are activities that are not supported by WhatsApp but do not directly threaten the safety of its users for instance using a modded version of WhatsApp like GB WhatsApp.
When offenses like this are committed, WhatsApp issues a temporary ban.
First-time offenders equally get temporary bans except for the reason for the ban is a very serious offense.
Temporary bans are tagged “temporary” because they are time-bound bans. Once the automated timing for the WhatsApp number expires, the ban is lifted.
Note that you might not get notified if you have been temporarily banned from WhatsApp.
On the other end, a permanent ban is given on extreme occasions.
It can be a result of receiving several temporary bans and not desisting from the activity(ies) responsible for the ban.
Permanent bans are not lifted except if the user reaches out to WhatsApp for help during which the situation might be reviewed and the phone number might be unbanned.
If your phone number is permanently banned, you get a notification from WhatsApp that reads “Your phone number is banned from using WhatsApp. Contact support for help”.
Note that you may not be warned before getting a permanent ban.
Why is My WhatsApp Number Banned?
There are different reasons why WhatsApp can place a ban on a phone number.
However, it is all a function of disregarding the terms and conditions of using the WhatsApp platform.
WhatsApp can ban your number as a result of any of the following.
- Forwarding of Fake Messages: WhatsApp has a label for forwarded messages and have a restricted number of times messages can be forwarded just to reduce the number of forwarded message a user receives. If you are fond of forwarding messages, especially messages with fake content and illicit link, your number can be banned.
- Bulk Messaging: Bulk messages come off as spam messages on WhatsApp. As such, constantly bombarding a person, group, etc. with bulk messages can lead to a ban. If you operate a business and need to send automated messages, there is the business WhatsApp model that can be very useful for you. Instead of considering your bulk messages as spam on the WhatsApp business version, WhatsApp will only prevent that form of automated message and allow you to reconfigure the message.
- Excessive Use of Broadcast List: WhatsApp frowns at the excessive use of broadcast lists as it does not encourage too many broadcast messages. This is to reduce the rate of fraudulent and criminal activities that can be propagated using broadcast.
- Using a Modded Version of WhatsApp: Modified WhatsApp versions are not supported by WhatsApp. This can cause your WhatsApp number to be banned.
- Violating User Privacy: This is a serious offense on the platform. WhatsApp is bent on protecting the privacy rights of its users and as such will not condone reports that border on the breach of privacy. These include reaching out to unknown contact with disturbing and unwelcoming messages; adding people to groups without their consent; using malicious, defamatory, and derogatory remarks on people, etc.
- Engaging in Illegal Acts: Any form of irregularity with your WhatsApp number that indicates that the phone number is being used for illegal acts is a good reason for such a number to be issued a permanent ban.
How to Contact WhatsApp When Your Number is Banned
The first thing to do when you realize your account has been banned is to know what sort of ban has been placed on your number.
The kind of ban will determine your response to the situation in a bid to get your account unbanned.
Temporary bans are time-bound. You do not need to do a thing about the ban other than ensure that you do not get banned again.
Once the duration of the ban is over, your number will be unbanned. Most times, temporary bans last for about 30 minutes. However, the duration can be longer.
If you are notified that your account has been banned and asked to reach out to the WhatsApp support service for help, you have been banned permanently and should follow the proposed steps below to salvage the situation:
- Uninstall your WhatsApp: Press and hold the app for some seconds and select the “X” or Uninstall option that will appear.
- Go to your app store and re-install the application.
- Select the Support option found on the notification page that will appear.
- Provide an honest reason for your action that led to the ban.
- Select the next button.
- Afterward, select the “This does not answer my problem” option.
- Enter the required detail in the email application that you have been redirected to and submit.
- In a couple of days, your request should be reviewed and your number unbanned.
Is Your Account Banned Wrongly?
It is possible-although rare-for an account to be banned wrongly.
If you believe that the ban placed on your account should not be, then, you can ask for a review by pressing the “Request a Review” button in the app.
Another thing you can do is send an email to WhatsApp through their contact website.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a WhatsApp ban last?
Most times, the WhatsApp ban has a duration of 30 minutes.
It could be longer depending on the reason for the ban especially if you are still violating the codes and guidelines of the platform.
Are WhatsApp bans permanent?
WhatsApp bans can be permanent. Normally, a user is first issued a temporary ban depending on the WhatsApp code violated.
If the user ceases to engage in activities that can result in a ban, then, there should be no incidence of a permanent ban.
However, in a case where a user gets issued temporary bans over and over again, a permanent ban may follow suit.
What happens when WhatsApp bans your number?
The first thing that will happen when your WhatsApp number is banned is that you will receive a notification that reads: “Your phone number is banned from using WhatsApp. Contact support for help”.
If your number is banned, you will not be able to access your Chats page or do anything on the WhatsApp platform like sending and receiving messages.
What Causes WhatsApp to Ban a Number?
Bans on phone numbers are placed by WhatsApp on users who have violated the terms and conditions of the WhatsApp community.
Engaging in activities like message spamming individuals or groups; making use of a modified version of WhatsApp; being reported by another WhatsApp user for engaging in fraudulent activities or breaching people’s privacy.
How Do I Get Unbanned From WhatsApp?
If you have been banned for violating a rule, try uninstalling and reinstalling your WhatsApp application and attempt launching the WhatsApp app.
On the page where you are notified of the fact that your phone number has been banned, you will be asked to contact Support.
Tap on Support and enter the required details. You will be redirected to the mail application to complete the detailed filling process.
Afterward, your ban will be reviewed and your number should be unbanned.
However, if your ban comes with a timer attached to it, simply wait for the time of the ban to elapse and your WhatsApp number will be automatically unbanned.
How Do I Know if My WhatsApp Ban is Permanent?
The kind of ban notification you receive will determine if the ban was temporary or permanent.
A temporary ban comes with a timer attached to the ban notification while a permanent ban comes with the “Contact Support for help” message.
Every social network that wishes to provide a great networking platform for its users must have a way of checkmating the smooth running of the platform.
For WhatsApp, accounts that do not keep to the regulations of the network are banned.
If your account is banned, you can reach the Support service of WhatsApp and follow the promptings provided to get them to revise the ban decision.
However, it is better to work towards preventing getting banned by maintaining the codes of WhatsApp which you can check out in their “Terms of Service” than trying to contact WhatsApp to reverse the ban action.
- Why Can’t I Find Someone on WhatsApp?
- How to Check WhatsApp Web Login History
- WhatsApp Hacked? (You Should Try This Fix FIRST)
- Block a Particular Number in WhatsApp (Takes 15 Seconds!)
- How to Send Blank Message on WhatsApp
- WhatsApp Voice Message Not Working? [Here’s How to Fix It]