How to recover a hacked Instagram account is one of the most asked questions especially by those that have their account compromised.
With over 1 billion monthly active users, Instagram is one of the most popular photo-sharing social media networks. The huge number of users increases the possibility of having an Instagram account hacked.
Instagram upholds security with high esteem. However, that does not completely protect users account from being hacked.
Perhaps, your Instagram account is hacked and you want to recover it. In this article, I will guide you on how to recover a hacked Instagram account.
Also, you will learn how to secure your Instagram account from hackers.
How to Know that Your Instagram Account has been Hacked
There are a couple of actions on your account that signify that your Instagram account has been hacked. Your Instagram account is under threat if:
- you suddenly follow lots of people and like, comment and share their images
- posts are made on your account which you don’t know about.
- all of a sudden, a DM is sent to your friends that you never did.
- you no longer have access to your Instagram account even when you are very convinced that you are entering the correct password.
- your photos and videos are being deleted and you never did.
How to Recover a Hacked Instagram Account
1. Take Action Immediately
This kind of email is a security measure to ensure that your account is safe and secured from hackers or unauthorized access. It is necessary that you act immediately you aren’t sure of the safety of your Instagram account.
Proceed to click on the “Check activity” and follow up.
Failure to do this might put you on the verge of losing your Instagram account to hackers. Action is key and acting fast is golden.
2. Proceed to Change Your Password
You’re lucky if the Instagram hacker has not changed your password as you still have to your account. Get into your Instagram account and change your login details since the hacker already has access to it.
To change your Instagram password, follow the steps below:
- Log in to your Instagram account, and tap the 3 lines at the top of the screen.
- Click on the settings at the top of the screen from the popup
- Proceed to click on “Security”
- Select Password
- Enter the current password and the new password, then enter the new password again to confirm.
It is recommended that you store your new password safely and securely. You can use services offered by Google or Dashlane.
This will help you keep all your login access safe that you don’t have to remember them.
3. Instagram Account Recovery
If the hacker has changed your Instagram account password and you no longer have access, you will have to resort to Instagram account recovery guidelines.
To recover your Instagram account:
- visit the Instagram login page and tap “Forgot Password”
- Enter your login details (phone number, email address or phone number) and tap “Send Login Link”.
The Instagram team will email you guidelines on how to recover your Instagram hacked account. With this step, you will get access to your Instagram account again.
How to Secure Your Instagram Account from Hackers
Follow the steps below to secure your Instagram account from hackers.
1. Use Strong Password
Having a strong password is the first step to securing your Instagram account from hackers. Ensure that it is safe by using a combination of numbers, special characters, letters – as you already know).
You can as well use the password manager to create a secure Instagram password.
Importantly, don’t use the same password across your social media account. Make sure to have a unique password for each account.
Also, don’t share your password or account with anyone to be on the safe side.
2. Set up Two Factor Authentication
With Instagram Two-Factor Authentication popularly known as 2FA, you can easily have your account secured. This will ensure that you approve every login from an unauthorised device.
How to Set up Two Factor Authentication
- Tap on the 3-dot at the top of your profile
- Click on settings
- Tap Two-Factor Authentication
- Select how you get login codes. It is recommended to use the Authentication App.
3. Avoid Installing 3rd Party Apps
Installing certain apps that put your Instagram account in danger and likely hold of having your Instagram account hacked. There are apps that automatically send your username and password to remote servers in clear text format.
Besides sending your login details, it can also your Instagram content to promote their application.
Be 100% sure and trust the app before you proceed to install the app.
It can be really painful not to have access to your Instagram account that you have invested a lot of resources to build. You might have lots of followers, business contact and friends and family already.
Not having access to it again can be frustrating. I hope that following the steps above guides you on how to recover a hacked Instagram account.